Author: Jayla Burton, Fall 2020 Diversity & Inclusion Intern
Deodorant is without a doubt one of the first steps in everyone’s morning routine. Because of this, we have become accustomed to buying deodorants without actually reading and researching about the ingredients that are being used. According to Safer Chemicals Healthy Families, an organization committed to ending the use of harmful ingredients in everyday products, the average deodorant contains ingredients such as aluminum compounds, triclosan and parabens. These chemicals have been linked to Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and may interfere with your body’s natural hormone levels.
To go the safer route, you may want to opt for a natural deodorant. Unfortunately, those can sometimes be pricey. If you want to make your own all natural antiperspirant then follow the instructions below!
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil (solid state)
- 4 tablespoons of arrowroot powder (can be substituted with cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 4 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- Mix the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl
- Place the bowl in the microwave & set it for 30 seconds (or until it’s smooth) in 10 second intervals
- Pour it into a container of your choice and let it sit until it’s solid