Summer is coming to a rapid end, and move-in is quickly approaching. To some, this could be an event that causes a lot of stress and you may not be as mindful of being more sustainable when moving.
However, thinking sustainably during this time can help leaps and bounds, making move-in not only more affordable but more effective. I will outline a few helpful tips on how you can move in/out more sustainably, which will benefit the environment and make your move-in/out go a lot smoother.
Ways to Move In/Out Sustainably
- When packing fragile kitchenware or decor, use soft fabrics (i.e. towels, bedding, sheets) for wrapping the items instead of newspaper or bubble wrap
- Try to collect old cardboard boxes from local shops and stores instead of purchasing boxes for moving belongings
- Attempt to sell/buy furniture, decor, houseware, and any other items on Facebook marketplace or head to local thrift stores to donate and purchase items for new home
- When buying items for a new place, set yourself up to live more eco-friendly by:
- Purchasing reusable cutlery set for take-out meals so you can say no to the plastic ones that cannot be recycled
- Buying reusable k-cup filters or coffee maker with a reusable coffee filter to avoid generating more landfill waste
- Investing in reusable straws and water bottles that you can bring with you so you don’t have to use single-use plastic items
- Buying reusable coffee cups
- Using glass tupperware instead of single-use bags or boxes. If you search eco-friendly glass Tupperware on Amazon, you’ll find lots of budget-friendly options
- Purchasing more fairtrade products
- Using bamboo toothbrushes because they are eco-friendly and BPA-free
- Minimizing the number of products you purchase that comes in heavy plastic packaging/containers that will end up in landfills
- Supporting local farmers and businesses by shopping at local farmers’ markets on Saturdays from 8:00 am-1:00 pm or at Veggie Bin on Spring Street
Using even a few of these tips will benefit you financially and help contribute to a healthier environment by reducing your waste. Get creative with being more environmentally friendly and educate yourself on other sustainable practices that can be integrated into your everyday life. There are countless other ways to move-in/out sustainably so stay informed by following the Center for Sustainable Development on social media @SustainCofC.